Friday, January 13, 2006

2027 The Friday Paint Along

Although it isn't exactly a New Year's Resolution, I do want to get back to my painting. After all, that's why we did the massive move, repacking and reorganization in December, so my drawing table could have north light. Now I'd better make good on it. My husband continues the reorganization as he is cataloging his slides--going back to the 60s.

So here I am, all ready for art class. The apron is a heavy white canvas fabric (100% cotton made in Canada) with black cats, a gift from my sister. I put this on about an hour before so I don't forget or lose my nerve. There's my red bag bought at the Port Clinton Wal-Mart for $3 a few years ago--love that store. Inside are all sorts of goodies, like my favorite brushes in side the cardboard tube of a Reynoldswrap box, with small straight edge and erasers. And smallish pieces of good quality watercolor paper--I like 300 lb., but will use 140 if that's all I have tucked inside a tablet so they won't bend. Also a file folder of reference stuff, mostly pulled from magazines--but just for practice. And I have a small clear plastic zippered make-up kit, also purchased at Wal-Mart that holds a little color pan, watercolor pencils, color chart, and itsy-bitsy pieces of w.c. paper--postcard size. I use the small plastic bottles that came with it for water, and the soap dish for the w.c. tubes. Not that I ever paint on location, but with this I could. Inside that I also have reference photos and small sketches.

So if is off to paint with my friends and take a break from blogging.

3 comments:

Jane said...

My husband bought watercolors for me a couple of years ago and I was all gung ho to paint.....but I haven't. I really need to be doing that.
You will have to share some of your paintings with us!

Bonita said...

Norma, you look real good! I'd be afraid of ruining a nice apron like that. It is always a good idea to get away from blogging - a work of art is tangible. No buttons to 'delete blog' there. I'd settle for a painting any day over a virtual toy.

Norma said...

One of my paint-mates today was painting on "yupo," sort of a plastic sheet, and you can wipe it off and start over. Sort of like "delete blog." It's terrific for abstract because you wet it and float in the color and let it dry. Looks nasty? Just start over.