Wednesday, January 11, 2006

2017 Daring to find our names

Although it's possible that gay cowboys have been in the closet until the recent much heralded movie Brokeback Mountain, gay and lesbian librarians sure haven't been. That's why I was a bit surprised when browsing my honorary's website (Beta Phi Mu) to find that a book had been published, "Daring to find our names" which chronicles their gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/queer history and careers (their words, not mine). Not that I pried into people's private lives, but I always knew my profession was heavily homosexual. I didn't know much about transgender until one of my staff members changed sexes and thus was part of a legally married female couple, although neither one were lesbians. I knew who the guys' partners were, who had died of AIDS--even went to the memorials and funerals, and who was being unfaithful to whom. My very favorite boss of all times, Jay Ladd, was a very popular librarian at Ohio State. He was a "company man," but knew how to treat his own staff fairly. His research field was a gay writer, and his partner was a gay artist. No big deal. So where's the daring?

Although I wasn't aware of it for a number of years, I worked for several women librarians who not only were lesbians, but were abusive to each other. I never suspected, because of their antipathy, that they were anything but old maid housemates. But I also knew lesbian secretary/professor couples. Hey, we weren't THAT protected in the 1950s and 1960s in academe.

The problem today is not sexism, homophobia, and discrimination, but a sluggish, overarching, stuck-in-the-70s liberal bureaucracy, particularly in ALA, that can't get down to library business. And a coming out book that costs $106.00 for 272 pages.

2 comments:

Library-Gryffon said...

The primary reason I am no longer a member of ALA. All they ever seemed to do was talk/preach about political/social issues which had nothing specifically to do with libraries and librarians. Even bafore I became a political conservative, I was offended by the very liberal democratic agenda that was being forced down my throat (and paid for by my dues). Fight for a real salary for me, and let me decide which political and social causes I'm going to support.

I also remember a great deal of angst over librarians not being treated as professionals. No one in the ALA heirarchy seems to have considered that behaviours such as these might have contributed to having those outside the profession not taking us seriously.

Library-Gryffon said...

I can type. But I hit enter instead of preview. What I get for doing this while fighting with the manual ADF on the office scanner.

I'm a military wife, and as with many attached to the military, I may not be completely happy with the current administration, but I'm much happier than with the previous one. You get very interesting reactions when you remind a group of librarians that there are a few political conservatives among the ranks.