Monday, January 09, 2006

2007 Lucas, Brandon and Josh

On my way back from the Mill Run Church yesterday I was stopped at an intersection for a light and read for the first time what I thought was just a large Christmas greeting. There were three white Christmas trees with gold halos, and a large banner with photos of Lucas, Brandon and Josh, apparently killed by a drunk driver on Christmas Day, 2004. So I looked it up when I got home.

"Joshua Worthington, 19; Lucas Carmean, 19 and Brandon Kent, 21, all died instantly when the Jeep Wrangler they were traveling in was struck head-on by a man who was driving the wrong way on Interstate 71 in Columbus near the 17th Avenue exit.

According to Columbus Police reports, the accident occurred at approximately 3 a.m. Christmas day when a vehicle driven by 28-year-old Donald Lee Richardson of 2205 Dresden Street, Columbus, was southbound in the northbound lanes of I-71 between Hudson Avenue and 17th Avenue and struck the Jeep carrying the three Grove City men. All three were pronounced dead at the scene of the accident."

Richardson had already been convicted on two drunken driving charges and had been arrested for a third for a hearing in May. I followed up the story but lost track of it after June 2005 when he was out of the hospital and sitting in jail awaiting trial. Ohio has crappy drunk driving penalties.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agreee that Ohio's drunk driving laws are less than crappy. I was friends with all three of the boys killed in this accident and although we weren't as close in the end, not many days goes by that I don't think of them. I drive the freeway where it happened almost daily and I can't help to think of their families. Brandon was the oldest of five boys in his family. Everyone in Grove City knows the Kent's. Josh was like the all star football player in Grove City as well as Lucas. It's sad that we don't think of some people as much until they're gone. I wish I would have had the chance to say good bye, but I and so many other friends and family members did not get that chance. It was too soon for them. One idiot driving the wrong direction on the freeway took their futures because he decided that he was above the law AGAIN! And of course, the drunk driver walked away from the accident and will probably do it again as soon as he gets out of jail! The boys will be missed always!

Anonymous said...

that boy jausha worthington was my cousin and i wanted to let him know i will miss him always and i love him so much. I know he is in a better place now and god is taking care of him so i love u joshie.

Anonymous said...

Gone but far from forgotten. The drunk driver is currently serving 20 years.

Anonymous said...

this murderer who apparently had 3 times the state blood alchohol limit in his blood who was also doing cocaine at the time will be out in just four short years (2024) - his totally reckless behavior cut short on Christmas the lives of these three talented beautiful boys who were so beloved by their families - 20 years IMHO simply not enough for snuffing out three precious lives

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/31006765/joshua-ryan-worthington#view-photo=13708973