Wednesday, January 04, 2006

1978 Mom! I'm famished. What's to eat?

There's a lot of media coverage of overweight children. Given the success of the anti-smoking campaigns (which I support), I'm guessing we'll see the lawyers and do-gooders checking our lunch boxes and dinner tables before too long--after they get the pop and snack contracts with the food companies out of the schools (which I support).

So here's a tag for you and the rules: you can only tag a blogger over 50 and you copy the question and let the person know he or she's been tagged.

What snack items did your mother allow in your home and put out for you when you were growing up--either home made or store bought? And what item was absolutely not allowed? Here's mine:

1. Buttered slice of bread with sugar-cinnamon sprinkles.
2. Egg nog--milk, egg, sugar and vanilla.
3. Raw potato slices.
4. Kool-aid if it was really a hot day (made with sugar).
5. Peanut butter toast or sandwich.

We NEVER had soda pop in our house.

I'm tagging Mr. Cloud, Octogenarian, Bonita, Jane, and Cuppa.

BTW, Mr. Cloud and Cuppa are married, and both have fabulous winter photos on their sites--check it out.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Mom used to cut an orange at the top and we could suck the juice out of it and then take it apart and eat the rest.

I remember kool aid - but only had coke (our term for pop in the south) when our cousins and aunt and uncle came because he worked for the Coca Cola company.

Iced Tea was the drink of choice down south.
I really don't remember that many snack foods available other than peanut butter sandwiches and cheese and occasional vanilla wafers.
HECK - we HAD to go outside to play and couldn't come back in and out!

Norma said...

I think occasionally we'd have icing between graham crackers. I forgot that one.

You're right. You were outside to play all the time, even in the snow and rain (northern Illinois). If you were found inside, Mom created a job for you. Great incentive.

makuahine said...

Well, I'm not over 50, so I guess I can't really answer this one. ;-) But I do see changes even between when I grew up and now my son. So much junk food out there, it's hard sometimes to know what's best.

Anonymous said...

We looked forward to Mom preparing the chicken because we were given the cooked gizzard, liver, heart and unlaid eggs. Guess its obvious Iam not a picky eater. Mary anne

Norma said...

Mary Anne--that's the part we threw away at our house, or cooked for the dog.